Sunday, February 2, 2014

Forecasting snow and poetry

Snowbound

is that other world
in which no schedules sit
and no ambitions flare
to interrupt the bluest sky
and whitest field
and coldest air

I first learned the bad news in a Washington Post blog -- Punxsutawney Phil has seen his shadow and there will be six more weeks of winter. This fits with the forecast of more snow here in the DC area overnight and into tomorrow.  It is getting harder to remember my delight as giant blankets of white snow fell on my backyard in Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania.  Harder to remember the satisfaction that led to my poem, "Snowbound," above.  
(Previous poetic Groundhog Day postings were made on February 1, 2013 and February 1, 2012.)
Whatever the weather, Stephanie Strickland and I are scheduled to read poetry tomorrow evening, Feb 3, at 7:30 PM at Cafe Muse at the Friendship Heights Village Center (4433 South Park Avenue, Chevy Chase, MD) and near the Friendship Heights Village Center.  I hope you can join us.  Many of my poems there will have a mathematical theme; here's a sample, the first stanza of "Time":

                         from Time  by JoAnne Growney

                                 The clock goes round --
                                 making time a circle
                                 rather than a line.
                                 Each year's return to spring
                                 layers time on time.

"Time" is found in my collection, My Dance is Mathematics (Paper Kite Press, 2006), available online here.

No comments:

Post a Comment